Sunday, April 1, 2012

Nautica SoBe Tri: Race Recap

Transition was buzzing starting at 5:30AM on the sands of South Beach for the Nautica SoBe Triathlon. I definitely drove by several people on their way HOME from the clubs at that time. The water temperatures were cool enough to allow for a wetsuit legal race, which was music to my ears. Swim went OK, as I finished the swim about 2 minutes from the lead pack with a time of 14:14.  


With a slight wind out of the west, the bike leg looked to be fast, and it proved so. I hammered by Rotor 3D+ cranks and averaged 24.8mph for the 19-miles. I made a costly nutrition mistake on the bike, using a bottle of overly concentrated fluids for the short race distance. As a result, towards the end of the bike, I started to have GI problems. I was in 8th off the bike heading into transition, but once I dismounted my bike and started to run, my GI distress reared its head again.
The first half mile was a constant struggle not to throw up. I pushed through the discomfort, running in the 6:40s for the first mile. I picked up the pace, averaging 6:15-6:20, when again, my stomach acted up. I slowed my pace at the turnaround. I tried to pick it up again on the way back, but couldn’t quite bring it up to speed. I finished the run at an average of 6:35/mile, finishing 12th overall of 1200+ with a time of 1-hour 30-minutes.
Overall, a fun race and I am happy with the result. Definitely motivated by all my fellow Wattie Ink athletes who raced to some podiums at Ironman 70.3 Oceanside and Texas this weekend. Way to rock it!!
Thanks to Wattie Ink and all our sponsors for the support this season!!
On a side note, my new Wattie Ink race kit comes Wednesday! One of the sickest kits around!
Next up, The Intimidator, Florida Challenge triathlon (half ironman) in Clermont, FL on 3/15/12. Ready for my first distance test of the 2012 season!!

1 comment:

  1. This was awesome- way to go again man! What were the distance?

    ReplyDelete